Love Letter to the Moon

For Becky - By Grant Eagar

Prompt: Picture of a sunset with the moon rising.

  I wrote this in the Philadelphia Writers Workshop in 2010.  I was working 2000 miles from home. I was working in Philadelphia Pennsylvanian and my wife and kids were in Layton, Utah. She had to deal with the kids all by herself. I thought at the time that we would only be apart for a few months and we ended up being apart the most part of 6 years.I would only fly home once or twice a month. I look back and realize I missed so much. I wish I had tried harder to find a local job or simply taken the family with me. Expediency is such an awful mistress.
Image result for sunset with moon.





Dearest Moon,
            I’m almost gone. Soon all that will be left of me is the glow upon your face.  I feel weary, it has been a long-long day. I have carried my burden and must soon go to my watery bed. I know the night will not be dark because you are shining bright.  Just a few more minutes and I will depart.  My gleam is my farewell kiss for you; to keep your heart warm until I return on the morrow.  Remember my setting radiance during the long hours of darkness when you must be all that lights the sky. Oh, that my glow may warm your heavy heart and dry your tears. That you may forgive my absence and look forward to my return.

 

Oh, fair one; the gift I have been given; a dream of our reunion. Dancing once again across the sky, pirouetting, stepping, and moving in harmony; encircled in each other's arms. I dream that the embrace we share when once we meet again will never be broken. I dream that the endless night finally fades away and I awake to your smile.  When I finally awake and see your face, I know it will be a new and glorious day. The pain of the night has fled.

 

            Cruel are the guardians of fate that keep us apart. These guardians are the choices we make in haste, to satisfy pride, and we justify as expedient.  What seemed so important is now foolishness. To do it over again we would never be separated; for now our kisses are just for an instant in passing and our hugs for just a moment. We must rely on our dreams to fill the gaps and heal what is broken and redeem what is lost. 

 

With my last flash of light, I give you all my Love.

 

The Sun

P.S. Until we meet tomorrow, I send you my kisses to be carried by the stars.  

Comments

Popular Posts