Vampire Rules - Grant Eagar


 
 
 Artemis Dreaming | Fantasy girl, Green eyes, Female vampire
 
 

To order my books:

Sheila the Vampire: Dancing with the Enemy

Vampire Rules

     One of the fun things about writing vampire stories is creating your own vampire rules. What does it take to become a vampire? What are their powers and abilities? What are their weakness? I concede that not all this is original, it is just what I worked out.

     I felt some of the vampire portrayals in movies were a bit unrealistic. Either the vampire killing everyone they bite or turning everyone they nibble on. Why would you want to kill the family cow? And if you turn everyone you bite, then who are you going to get blood from?

     So I tied the vampires to a curse that was strongest during the full moon where the need to have blood was a compelling addiction. During the rest of the time they could eat normally if they so desired.

      In order to become a vampire I had the requirement that the turning had to be part of a ceremony which took place at midnight of the full moon. The person was bitten by a clan leader while the rest of the clan chanted an incantation. I also have the clan leader first apply her own blood to the throat of the victim then bite them; hence mixing their blood and binding them. You don't want to just create a monster, you want to control the monster you create. The leader has certain words she uses to control her clan. while also having a strong paternal instinct to protect her people.

      Fundamentally vampires are predictors, serial killers, stalkers (basic bad monsters) it is hard to generate much sympathy for them.So I can either have my story from the perspective of a vampire hunter which didn't interest me or that of a vampire. If it is the vampire then it becomes a bit of a tragedy since the vampire can only be released from the living hell by a gruesome death. I'm not into tragedies.  I love stories written from the perspective of the monster, therefore I have my vampire only partially turned so that there is some hope. Humanity mixed with the monster.


Please see my short story Devil in a Red Dress which is part of the anthology These Vampires Still Don't Sparkle



Comments

Popular Posts