Short Story -Dragon's Treasure - Grant Eagar



Image result for chain mail girl -stock




Prompt: Doing something with their hands.
 

 Angelica a sixteen-year-old witch picked at the black and gold dragon scales with her fingers. A few random scales remained on her temple near her black hairline, on her biceps, her chest, and her back.  Where did they come from? Would they eventually fall off? So much for wearing a gown to a ball. She adjusted her hair to hide the one on her temple.

Princess Hannah swatted Angelica’s hand. “Stop that, you’re going to get an infection. they appear to be permanent.”

“It’s hard to resist, the scales itch like a bugger.” Angelica stood and approached some bushes and regarded what was hanging there with her lavender eyes. “What are all these things hanging on the lilacs drying?”

Hannah gave Angelica a wan smile. “This dragon magic is highly peculiar. After you turned back into a girl you choked all these things up and I washed them off.”

“Am I supposed to be wearing these things? What did the dragon king do while he had control of my body anyway?”

Hannah shuddered and winced. “I’m sorry for not being forthcoming, but you don’t want to know.”

Angelica picked up the silver chain mail shirt and rubbed it with her fingers, the silver mail felt cold and soft. She slid the mail over her head. It came down to just above her knees. It at first made her shiver since it was still moist from being washed in the stream, but after a couple of minutes she got used to it, the cool silver metal felt good against her skin. She then picked up the gold chain and ran it through her fingers. The chain was as thick as one of her fingers. “A fortune of gold all in a single eight-foot chain. Is the gold my gift from the beast or is this treasure accursed?”

“You choked up a bit of chain and I pulled and pulled and pulled and it slowly came out. I thought it would never stop coming.”

“How did the gold get inside me? What did the crazy beast do when it had control of me?”

The princess nervously rubbed her hands together and took on a pensive look. “Oh, I’m sure the dragon did what dragons do best; cause a bit of mayhem. Don’t worry where it came from? Just enjoy it. All you need to know is that I was rescued by you as a dragon and here we are. You must know that sometimes the rescuing gets a  bit messy.”

Angelica rubbed the gold chain again. “Do I want to know what the dragon did? You don’t appear to be forthcoming with the tale. I’ll enjoy the treasure while I have it. I’m sure someone will be coming along demanding it soon enough.” She wrapped the chain several times around her waist then put on the princess’s lavender traveling cloak which matched Angelica’s eyes. “What do you think of this getup?”

The princess snorted. “The whole thing is a bit odd, but I’m certain you’ll get used to it. You look like a warrior maiden.”

Angelica grinned. “Do I resemble a beautiful warrior lady or a trollish battle-hag.”

Hannah giggled and poked Angelica in the side. “Definitionally the battle hag, when you were asleep you kept talking in that raspy dragon tongue and occasionally growl, you scared me witless. I didn’t know what you had become.”

Angelica frowned. “I would have preferred to be a fine warrior lady, alas I am what I am.” She picked up a short sword that went from her fingers to her elbow. “I choked this thing up? I’m surprised it didn’t cut my tongue off.”

“Oh that, it was wrapped in the chain mail. Just remember you were kind of human and kind of a dragon when you were doing this bit. She tucked the steel sword into the chain on her hip and fastened it in place. The sword had an oak handle inlaid with gold and silver.  She practiced removing the blade quickly and beheaded flowers. 

Hannah giggled, “You make quite the fearsome warrior.”

“I’m now ready for battle if the rogues find us I’ll be ready for them. All I lack is the courage to go along with the sword. I had always pretended to be Angelica the Barbarian as a child, beheading flowers along the path with a stick, but now I have to be a warrior for real to protect us. Hopefully, the courage will come to me, for there is none to be had at present.”

Hannah squeezed Angelica’s arm. “I’m confident your courage, like your magic, will come back to you when it’s needed.”

Comments

Popular Posts